Sunday, October 14, 2012

Getting Married

So, I'm getting married.  In South Korea.  That's the plan.  Lol.  Here's the details:

My fiancees name is Min Dong Shik.  My family calls him Min.  I met Min at a dinner meeting for his company.  My friend, Alex, did English interviews for Min's company, Kyeryong, and they asked him to dinner.  He brought me along so that I could meet more mature Koreans.  Usually, Alex introduces me to his college students.  It was definitely a new and fun experience for me.  I made drinks for some of the bosses in the company, and they really liked them and everyone had a lot of fun.  After dinner, as everyone was going home, Min gave me his business card and said, "You know, I'm not married."  This was surprising for both Alex and I because we had assumed that everyone at the meeting was married.  The next day he texted me all day.  That's not unusual for a Korean guy to do, but the next day, he texted me and asked me to have coffee with his mom.  That is a very unusual thing for a Korean guy to do.  You usually do not meet someone's parents unless you are a big part of their life for a long time.  Anyways, his mom really liked me even though my Korean is horrible, and she can't speak English well either.  After meeting his mom, she invited me to their church.  It's a Korean church, nothing is in English, but I have never felt more at home in a church.  The people are so welcoming, and they often try to talk to me.  So for three months, I went to church with him every Sunday.  I was really frustrated that he never asked me on a date.  I was sure that he didn't like me.  Finally after three months, he asked me to be his girlfriend.  He said that he had waited so long because he wanted to make sure that he really liked me for me and not because I was something new and different.  Shortly after we were officially dating, he asked me to marry him.  I guess when you're sure, you're sure, right? lol.  Anyways, we kept our engagement a secret for a few months until we went to my parents' house to tell my dad.

So, that's it.  Now, we're making wedding plans.  I bought two wedding dresses.  A short one and a long one.  One for the wedding in America and one for Korea.  We also have a date: April 6, 2013.  I will be going back to the US for most of March to help with the plans for the wedding there.  It's going to be really small and relaxed nothing special.  Probably more like a barbecue party than a wedding. Then, after the wedding in America we're going to fly back to Korea with my parents, show them around Korea, have our big wedding here, and then go on our honeymoon.  Nothing else is set yet, but at least we have a general outline, the dress, and the date.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What?!?! Such a cute story!! Wow. I know this is a late response but I was randomly googling apartments in Daejeon and your blog came up then I was a little intrigued from your weightloss photo then i scrolled down and read this. Congrats!! Hope everything is going well for you! ^_^